Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day Five

Woke in LaCrosse, WI, and set out on Rt. 14, our blue highway into South Dakota. It started out well, with nice hills, rock formations and the river, but soon returned to mile upon mile of sorghum and corn fields--much like Ohio, Indiana and Illinois! Since we wanted to get to South Dakota, we decided to get there FAST and hopped onto Rt. 90W. As Pete pointed out, who can trust a rugby player with directions? Before we did that, though, we stopped at a cool antique store just across the Mississippi in Winona, WI. Here's a shot of the river from the WI side.

Pete picked out the antique store, and we soon figured out why. It used to be Bub's (pronounced "boobs," ladies and gentlemen--it's German). Found some cute Red Wing gray, nesting stoneware bowls. Red Wing is a Minnesota company and there was a lot of this stoneware, but I liked it. And anyone who knows me knows you can never have too many bowls! And yes, Red Wing shoes are from the same town--in fact, the world's largest boot is on display in the store (but we didn't see it). How could we after the LL Bean boot?!

A few gratuitous shots of the countryside now. We have to tell you though...while you're supposed to think of lakes, Minnesota is ranked fourth in windmill farms with nearly 1,200, most of which I think we saw today! Layer upon layer of windmills--they were like a crop of giant (and I mean giant) plants. 257 feet high, weighing 200,000 pounds each, and $2.5 million each to build. Don Quixote would have met his match with these behemoths.

We really wanted to find a pretty place in Minnesota, so we pulled over in Worthington and stopped at Chautauqua Park. It was quite lovely and apparently hosted a national windsurfing competition.

We just set up our tents (which dried immediately in the warm wind) in South Dakota (note the longhorn roadside art) and ate at a local steakhouse called The Depot. Pete had a buffalo burger, which was delicious.

Back to our tent now for some sleep. See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. LOVE the lake shot-- water and that amazing blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! My sister loves to camp in WI, I see why. Safe travels Thom & Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you are lucky to be away from the coast...earthquake was interesting, never felt one before! Now we have hurricane Irene on the way...Come On Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, we'll be at the Grand Canyon at some point, but no telling when or for how long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy V...We think northern Minnesota must be beautiful but we were lucky to find this little oasis off the highway. We're pretty sure we didn't see the best of the state!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, ha...oops! You were talking about WI and I'm blathering about MN. Well, it's getting harder to keep it all straight as we fly through!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dina, no worries about not saying good-bye. I've always known you like Santoro better! : ) as for the hair, thanks! Of course I think I look like a guy now, but it sure is easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How are you finding the electricity and the hot spots to transmit!!! Technology is so amazing!! I HAVE to comment on the bowl thing too!!! I have always been told by our mother and my kids I have too many!! I don't believe there is such a thing but its just hilarious that all this time we've known each other and I didn't know we had that in common!! MY MOTHER stuck a lot of mine downstairs in the basement and that's where most of them still are since I can't get to them! Not that I can use them all at once, either, but I love having them on the open shelving just to LOOK at!!! -0-
    Hope you're holding up to this whirlwind pace you seem to have set for yourselves! I'm excited knowing you're out there exploring country we seldom see or hear about and it really is wonderful it still exists in such basic form, more or less, and remains fresh and unsullied by over development.
    I hope you are moving through and away from all the rain because it seems to have made it's way back here! Everday, horendous downpours! I don't know how the atmosphere holds such oceanic volumes!

    ReplyDelete